LEAF School 9th Grade Community Building
Welcome to your first adventure with Kroka Expeditions!
This day will serve as an introduction to Kroka and the year to come while you continue to get acquainted with your classmates and build your class community. Working in small groups in the Kroka farm and forest, we will practice our navigational skills, bake bread over the open fire, carve a spoon, and get to know the animals on our farm.
Throughout the day we will rotate through activities in small groups. After each activity, we will change our groupings.
At the end of the day, we will join together as a whole class to reflect on our learning.
Schedule/Flow of the Day
- 8:00 AM: Departure from LEAF in Kroka vans.
- 8:30 AM: Welcome and orientation
- 9:00 – 11:00: Adventure rotation I
- 11:00 AM: Snack
- 11:15 – 1:15: Adventure rotation II
- 1:30 PM: Lunch with the whole group
- 2:15 – 4:30: Adventure rotation III
- 4:30 PM: Closing circle
- 5:00 PM - Parent pickup from Kroka Expeditions
Team orienteering, fire building & cooking, wood splitting & stacking, spoon carving, farm work, wilderness games.
We expect everyone to arrive prepared to spent the day outside, rain or shine! Please use the following list as a guide for how to arrive prepared.
- Wool socks
- Quick-dry pants or shorts
- T-shirt (long-sleeve if cold)
- Sun hat
BRING (In small backpack)
- Sweater (wool or fleece)
- Long-sleeve shirt
- Lunch & snacks to share (see description)
- ALL ELECTRONICS! (cell phones, MP3 players, gaming devices, etc.)
- Toys, games, fidget spinners
In the spirit of community, we will share snack and meals “potluck style.” Rather than bringing a lunch and snack for yourself, bring something shareable. We will share a meal together using our collective ingredients! Suggestions: Bread, hummus/dip, cheese, meat, vegetables, crackers, rice and beans, pasta salad, etc.
Each family will complete Kroka’s online medical/liability forms by August 25. These forms only need to be completed once per year, and we will keep them for each Adventure Day in the coming school year. Please keep in mind that this itinerary is approximate and subject to change based on the weather, needs of the group, and many other factors.